June 15, 2007

I'm in love

With socks!

A few months back I decided that since everyone talks about how much they like knitting socks I would try them out. So I went out a bought a few DPNs and cast on using Silver’s Sock Class. I used Lion’s Brand Microspun since I didn’t know any better at the time. After a little practice I got the hang of the knitting in the round thing but didn’t think I’d be able to keep going from there. Well the other day I decided to pick them back up and just keep going. I knit the heel flap, turned the heel, picked up stitches, and started working on the gusset. I finally realized that this whole sock thing is a lot of fun even though I was dropping a few stitches with that slippery yarn…but I kept going (although I just got up to the gusset and decided to frog).

Last night I decided to cast on a new sock with some cheap-o acrylic for some more practice hoping that this yarn wouldn’t slip off the needles as easily. It was so much easier!! I worked all last night on my sock and I have about two inches on the gusset knitted. I can’t wait to get home this afternoon and work some more on them. I just have to knit a few more inches, decrease the toes and graft and I’m done! I’ll have my first (practice) sock!

I love how socks are so quick and are instant gratification. Now I’m looking for a nice (but not too difficult) pattern so I can knit up a pair of socks for my yarn swap pal.

No comments: