June 5, 2007

1/4 life crisis

I had kind of a "what am I going to do with my life?" moment the other day. Actually I've been thinking a lot about lately; what I want to do and where I want to go...I felt like I was having a midlife crisis (okay, I'm only 23 so I guess that's 1/4?). A lot of the time I wished I had known what I wanted to do when I graduated college; it seemed like most of my friends had plans to either go to grad school or had jobs in a field they knew they wanted to be in. I really had no idea what to do with myself...I did know that as a Spanish major I didn't want to teach; what else is there?

Basically I moved to Boston because I always wanted to live here, so I found a job and picked up and moved. I love Boston but I've come to the realization that there is no where to go in my job and I'm stuck if I stay in it. I'm an admin assistant in a major hospital here in Boston and when I got hired they made all of these grandeur promises to me about how the job was going to be. Basically none of that has panned out and I've ended up doing a lot of answering phones and filing for the past (almost) year. I feel like I'm wasting my college education and time on this job; half the time I sit at my desk and have nothing to do so I'm on KH all the time. I know its hard to find a job out of college but I feel like looking at other people they had their plans and put them into action while I was kind of stuck.

I really want to go back to school full time for my masters, and I just don't think that can happen in Boston as much as I would like it to...its just waaay to expensive to be in school full time here and be able to pay rent and bills on a part time job. I've finally decided that I'm going to move back home for a little while and go to school in CT...I'm going to go for my MBA. I can save money this way and the schools I'm applying to are so much cheaper than some of the schools here in Boston. Since both of the schools I'm applying to are on rolling admissions I'm going to be really busy in the month or so to try to get admissions for the fall. So I'm going to let my boss know soon that I'll be leaving mid August, which I'm a little nervous about...I've never left a job before. I'm really excited to be moving on and finally deciding what I'm going to do!

4 comments:

Diane said...

Some great colleges in CT. Best of luck as you figure things out.

Nikki said...

Just because they had plans to go to grad school doesn't mean they knew any more what to do than you. In fact, that is what lots of college grads do when they can't think of anything else to do. Equally possible that they graduate and also find themselves wondering what to do. Grad school is no guarantee of success, though I bet you know that already.

Good luck in figuring out what you want to do.

NH Knitting Mama said...

I wish you luck in making a good decision for yourself.

Kaydee said...

Thanks for the well wishes. Nikki, I completly agree with what you said, I think its just when you see people who seem to have plans and I have no idea what to do its frusterating.