June 27, 2007

Dying Experience

Its official, I’ve completed my first yarn dying experience (well I think). I wanted to dye some yarn for socks for my KH secret swap partner. I was going for a deep purple/red color so I used two packets of grape and one black cherry Kool Aid. Dying yarn was so much fun. I loved watching the water turn from a deep dark purple to clear! How amazing is that?!

I only have two problems now: first I must not have tied it enough because I have a huge tangled mess!! I used Knit Picks bare yarn and just kept it tied how it came. I’m pretty sure that was a mistake because I have spent the past two nights after work trying to get the mess untangled. I’m pretty close now, probably one more night working on it and I’ll get it done. My second problem is the color. I honestly can’t decide if I really like it or totally hate it. The color didn’t come out nearly as dark as I was thinking (maybe I needed more Kool Aid?), my pal likes deep purples so that’s more what I was going for. I’m trying to decide now if after I get my mess untangles should I try dying it darker? More purple? Hmmmm, I don’t know. This picture is while it was drying so its a bit lighter than shown:

3 comments:

Diane said...

I love the color but if you want darker you can always redye it.

I've only dyed yarn once. I think it takes a pack of koolaid per ounce of yarn. My end result was ok but my fingers were a darker orange than my yarn lol.

I remember using 6 ties on the yarn and not having any problem with knotting. I really didn't enjoy the experience all that much and decided to leave yarn dying to people more talented than me.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just stumbled on your blog :) Nice work you have done!

This color is very nice but its .. er.... pink :)
I think you should darken it a bit, if you think your pal would like it better !

Good luck untangling!

Anonymous said...

I actually like that shade!